The art of surgery is also known as “surgical procedure” or “operation”. Primarily, surgery is done by a surgeon. Typically, he performs the surgery with the assistance of other specialists like a surgical technologist, circulating nurse and anesthesia provider.
There are many types of surgery. Based on different parameters, they can be put under many categories.
This category involves different types of surgeries based on need and urgency.
- Elective Surgery. As the name suggests, this type of surgery is optional. This type of procedure is planned in advance and is not ideal to deal with an emergency situation. Many procedures come under this category of elective surgery, such as cosmetic surgeries.
- Semi-Elective Surgery. Semi-elective surgery is done in order to save a patient’s life. However, it can’t be done in an emergency.
- Urgent Surgery. As the name suggests, urgent surgery is done only when the patient is stable.
- Emergency Surgery. This type of procedure is done without any delay as the patient’s condition requires it. If not done right away, the patient’s life may be at risk.
Body Part Based
Based on the body part, this type of surgery is done. Usually, it’s done on a specific structure or organ system. Let’s know about other types.
- Gastrointestinal Surgery. Gastrointestinal surgery is done in the digestive tract and the related organs, such as the esophagus, rectum, large intestine, small intestine, and stomach. Aside from this, it includes pancreas, gallbladder, and liver.
- Orthopedic Surgery. This involves the muscles or bones of the patient. This medical specialty is related to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of the injuries of the nerves, tendons, ligaments, joints, spine, bones and muscles.
- Cardiovascular Surgery. It involves the surgical treatment of different disorders and diseases of the blood vessels and the heart. Examples include open heart surgery and vascular surgery.
- Gynecology. This surgical specialty is related to the female reproductive system i.e. ovaries, vagina, and uterus.
- Neurosurgery. This specialty involves the treatment of different disorders of the peripheral nerves, spinal cord, and the brain.
- Ophthalmology (Eyes). Ophthalmology diagnosis and treats different disorders of the eye. Some common conditions include conjunctivitis, glaucoma, and cataracts.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. This dental specialty helps to perform the diagnosis and treatment of many injuries, diseases, and defect of gums, teeth, and mouth. In other words, doctors perform these procedures for jaws repair, palate repair, facial injury repair and the repair of wisdom teeth.
- Otolaryngology. Otolaryngology involves the procedures that treat the neck, head, nose, ears, and throat.